Monday, March 11, 2013

Real, Virtual or Hybrid? What's your perspective?

I got a comment on a recent post concerning "virtual field trips". For all of us 5625ers out there, we will recall from Project RED that number 7 on their list of "9 Key Implementation Factors" is virtual field trips:


"With more frequent use, virtual trips are more powerful. The best schools do these at least monthly."

The comment made on my post was regarding the preference students have for the real vs. the virtual. This comment reminded me of a couple of articles I read this morning:

I Love Technology

 

&



Hybrid courses: What Do You Digitize? What Do You Keep in the Classroom?


The authors point out that some subjects require real, physical interaction with a given environment in order for true learning to take place. But, virtual experiences (such as "virtual tours") can be a good place to prepare students for the real world by introducing them to the "rules" ahead of time.

I'm curious how many of you current or former educators have utilized this hybrid approach? And, what level of success (if any) did you have?

No comments:

Post a Comment